The International Council of Organizations of Folklore Festivals and Folk Arts (CIOFF, French: Conseil international des organisations de festivals de folklore et d'arts traditionnels)is an international nongovernmental organization whose objective is to preserve and promote the traditions and culture of the peoples of the world. CIOFF in an official adviser and partner of UNESCO.
Founded by Henri Coursaget in 1970 in Confolens in France, CIOFF is promoting an intangible cultural heritage expressed by dance, music, rituals, and customs.
CIOFF activities cover more than 100 countries on 5 continents, and under its patronage almost 380 festivals take place.
CIOFF main aims:
- to ensure international cooperation in the fields of knowledge, protection and dissemination of intangible cultural heritage;
- to transmit the culture from generation to generation;
- to promote the intangible cultural heritage;
- to collaborate with organizations and institutions that share the same values as CIOFF;
- to help with the achievement of UNESCO’s goals;
- to support the activities of its members and other non-governmental organizations working in the field of folklore and cultural heritage;
- to defend the peace and refuse violence through the fulfillment of these tasks.
Ukraine is a full member of CIOFF since 1996. The first president of the Ukrainian Section was Yuriy Voynarovskyy. For his contribution to the development of CIOFF Ukraine and many years of fruitful activity, Mr. Yuriy was awarded the title of Honorary President.
In 2018, director of the International Folklore Festival «Etnovyr» Andriy Sydor was elected President of CIOFF Ukraine.
- has its own statute and structure, and goals that are in line with CIOFF's worldwide mission;
- cares about the support of Ukrainian folklore and raising interest in popular traditions;
- popularizes Ukrainian culture in our country and abroad;
- provides advisory assistance on folklore festivals;
- establishes international contacts between collectives and festivals;
- participates in Sector Meetings and World Congress of CIOFF.
Andriy Sydor – president of CIOFF Ukraine, director of the International Folklore Festival «Etnovyr», director of «DikArt Creative Marketing Company», president of Lviv Tourism Alliance, head of the Department of Culture and Tourism of the Lviv City Council in 2007-2009.
Yuriy Voynarovskyy – honorary president CIOFF Ukraine, director of the International Festival «Polesian summer with folklore», director of the Palace of Culture of Lutsk, a former long-term head of Lutsk culture administration, holder of the honorary title «Honored Worker of Arts of Ukraine».